If you’re thinking of becoming a landlord there are a few legal matters that you need to take into consideration. The world has moved on in terms of what is needed before a person can become your tenant and it is down to you to ensure that all is in place. For example you will need to have a property inventory done and Inspection report software is available from https://inventorybase.co.uk/ to help you. Here are the main points but this is in no way an official guide and you should seek successful help.
- The landlord must ensure that the tenant is over the age of 18 and are legally allowed to live and work in the UK. They must see and confirm the documents for this. In most cases a birth certificate will suffice.
- For the most part the properties safety has to be confirmed before it can be let and some one move in therefore there must be a:
- Energy performance certificate in place.
- Fire Safety Order risk assessment must be conducted.
- Fire alarms and carbon dioxide alarms must be fitted and checked.
- A boiler service must be conducted yearly along with check so gas appliance.,
- This is also true of electrical safety checks.
There are others but these are the most important starting requirements.